Next up in my prayer card search is Joseph Cichouski.
According to the 1905 New York State census he was born in 1865 in Germany/Poland. I found that he was married with a family living on Newton St., the same street where I grew up. Catherine Cichouski was his wife, no idea on a maiden name. Children were John 13, Adam 12, Michael 8, Cecylia 3, and Mary 2.
1910 shows him still at 60 Newton St. It shows he immigrated to the US in 1881. Josef was a laborer at a brickyard. There was a lot of brick work in the area due to all of the railroad construction at the time. New to the family was Frank age 4.
Oddly, 1915 shows an extra child that should have been listed before; Stanislaus Cichowski 16. Otherwise, everything is the same for the family. Going back I was able to find the 1900 US Census where Stanislaus was listed age 6 months. Also, the family was at Newton Street.
In Josef’s last census, 1920, Adam had moved out but the rest of the family was still there. They also picked up a boarder; Anthony Karulczak 40.
So far this is the closest connection to the family that I’ve found in the prayer card collection. But, the family wasn’t on Newton at the time. They were still within a couple blocks so Josef could have know some of the family.
Here is a picture of 60 Newton I took in early May 2019.
- Find A Grave, database and images (https://www.findagrave.com : accessed 9 May 2019), memorial page for Jozef Cichowski (8 Mar 1866–6 Oct 1925), Find A Grave Memorial no. 125397817, citing Saint Stanislaus Roman Catholic Cemetery, Cheektowaga, Erie County, New York, USA ; Maintained by gravefinderStStans (contributor 47637865) .
- City of Buffalo; Buffalo, NY; Index to Deaths in Buffalo, New York
- Year: 1910; Census Place: Buffalo Ward 8, Erie, New York; Roll: T624_942; Page: 8A; Enumeration District: 0075; FHL microfilm: 1374955
- New York State Archives; Albany, New York; State Population Census Schedules, 1905; Election District: E.D. 04; City: Buffalo Ward 11; County: Erie; Page: 66
- Year: 1920; Census Place: Buffalo Ward 10, Erie, New York; Roll: T625_1102; Page: 19A; Enumeration District: 80
- New York State Archives; Albany, New York; State Population Census Schedules, 1915; Election District: 04; Assembly District: 06; City: Buffalo Ward 10; County: Erie; Page: 76
- Ancestry.com. U.S. City Directories, 1822-1995 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2011.
- Year: 1900; Census Place: Buffalo Ward 11, Erie, New York; Page: 37; Enumeration District: 0085; FHL microfilm: 1241027
New York Department of Health; Albany, NY; NY State Death Index