Bronislaw Switkowski is my great great uncle. He was born in 1902 to parents Wladyslaw and Ludwika Switkowski. The 1910 US Census shows him and his siblings as Bronislawa 18, Joseph 17,
Anna 14, Mieczyslaw 12, Anthony 10, Bronislaw 8, Stanislaus 6, Sophia 4, and John 2. Five years later the family was still together at 72 Clark Street near Corpus Christi Church building site on Buffalo’s east side.
At the age of 16 Bronislaus was working as a tanner living with the family still at 72 Clark Street. Two years later in 1920 he was selling nails. Anna 22, Mieczyslaw 21, Anthony 19, Bronislaus 18, Stanislaus 15, Sophie 13, and John 11 along with their parents moved to 50 Lombard about 2 blocks away.
On May 19, 1926 Bronislaus married Anastazya Wiatrowska in Buffalo, NY. They moved to 464 Wilson St. staying in the Polonia area. In 1930 Bronislaus was a scaler at a meat packing plant. There were over 200 meat packing plants in the Buffalo area. Most were near the Buffalo Stockyard. For some information on the stockyards you can go here. They had a 3 year old son Leonard Switkowski not to be confused with my great uncle Leonard Switkowski that was 3 in 1930.
1940 Bronislaus was now a shipping clerk at the meat packing plant. They were still living on Wilson St. . The now have their second son Eugene added to the family. It was around this time the meat packing industry began leaving Buffalo. It makes sense that Bronislaus work become a driller at Bell Aircraft. On February 14, 1942 he registered for the draft. I did not find any records of him being in the military it could be that he was 40 and not recruited or that he worked in the aircraft industry and was needed on the homefront.
Sometime after 1942 the family moved to 209 Herman St.. He worked as a shipping clerk again but I couldn’t find where.
He outlived all of his siblings but joined them on April 5, 1980.
- Ancestry.com. U.S., City Directories, 1822-1995 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2011.
- Year: 1910; Census Place: Buffalo Ward 8, Erie, New York; Roll: T624_942; Page: 22B; Enumeration District: 73; Image: 984.
- Year: 1920; Census Place: Buffalo Ward 10, Erie, New York; Roll: T625_1102; Page: 29B; Enumeration District: 81; Image: .
- Year: 1930; Census Place: Buffalo, Erie, New York; Roll: 1426; Page: 22B; Enumeration District: 114; Image: 290.0.
- Source Citation: Year: 1940; Census Place: Buffalo, Erie, New York; Roll: T627_2829; Page: 8A; Enumeration District: 64-199
- Online publication – Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2012.Original data – State population census schedules, 1915. Albany, New York: New York State Archives.Original data: State population census schedules, 1915. Albany, New York: New York S
- Number: 070-05-1444; Issue State: New York; Issue Date: Before 1951.
- New York State Department of Health; Albany, NY, USA; New York State Marriage Index
- Ancestry.com. U.S., World War II Draft Cards Young Men, 1940-1947 [database on-line]. Lehi, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2011.
- Ancestry.com. U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2015.