This unfortunately is another case of lack of information. I found her name in a few places but there were differences that make me think it wasn’t the right Virginia. I do know she was born September 7, 1920 and lived in Depew, New York at the time of her death. She was married to Henry E Mucha. There are a couple documents that show them together but with different middle initial for Virginia.
Perhaps after the 1950 census comes out I can come back and find new information about her.
- Ancestry.com. U.S., Social Security Death Index, 1935-2014 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2014. Original data: Social Security Administration. Social Security Death Index, Master File. Social Security
- Administration.Ancestry.com. U.S., City Directories, 1822-1995 [database on-line]. Lehi, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2011.
- Ancestry.com. U.S., World War II Draft Cards Young Men, 1940-1947 [database on-line]. Lehi, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2011.
- Publication Title: Buffalo, New York, City Directory, 1957
Steve Onizchak was born in Buffalo, NY in 1920 to Danial and Rosalia. Both of his parents were born in Poland. In the 1925 New York Census the 2 other members of the family were siblings Elisabeth 7 an Josephine 3.
By 1930 the family was living at 106 Coit Street in Buffalo’s East Side. The house currently looks like an old store front that has been covered to be an extra room. Many of the neighboring homes have been torn down in recent years. The family size increase in the past 5 years. Steve’s siblings were now: Elizabeth 12, Josephine 8, Florence 5, Teresa 2, and newborn John.
Ten years later Stephen was a salesman. I didn’t find where or what he was selling. He was still living with his parents on Coit Street. Elizbeth moved out but the family added 2 more sister. Living with him and his parents were: Josephine 18, Florence 14, Theresa 11, John 10, Anna 8, and Gertrude 3.
A year later he was a Steel Worker at Bliss & Laughlin Co. In November of 1941 he married Angeline Skotarczak in Buffalo. He lister her as next of kin on his draft registration on February 16, 1942. Their son Dennis S Oniszczak was born in February of 1943. He was selected for service September 15, 1943.
Their second son: Ronald G Oniszczak was born April 5, 1947. I can’t be positive with out more records but they may have had a daughter: Patricia born in 1952. I was able to find a record that Stephen was living at 64 Milsom Ave. in Cheektowaga, NY in 1968.
On March 1, 1991 Stephen died, later buried at Saint Adalbert’s Cemetery in Lancaster, NY.
In trying to locate how my family may have known Stephen I found that his father lived at 30 Newton St. in 1918. Many of my family lived on and around Newton St. at that time. Later in 1986 Stephen lived at 64 Milsom Ave. My maternal grandparents lived on Milsom for decades.
- Ancestry.com. U.S., Find a Grave Index, 1600s-Current [database on-line]. Lehi, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2012.
- Find a Grave, database and images (https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/228112836/stephen-j-oniszczak : accessed 22 November 2021), memorial page for Stephen J. Oniszczak (1920–1991), Find a Grave Memorial ID 228112836, citing Saint Adalberts Cemetery, Lancaster, Erie County, New York, USA ; Maintained by Mark Peebles (contributor 46514135) .
- Year: 1930; Census Place: Buffalo, Erie, New York; Page: 12B; Enumeration District: 0067; FHL microfilm: 2341160
- Year: 1940; Census Place: Buffalo, Erie, New York; Roll: m-t0627-02826; Page: 8B; Enumeration District: 64-122
- New York State Archives; Albany, New York; State Population Census Schedules, 1925; Election District: 05; Assembly District: 04; City: Buffalo Ward 11; County: Erie; Page: 12
- Ancestry.com. U.S., City Directories, 1822-1995 [database on-line]. Lehi, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2011.
- Ancestry.com. U.S., Public Records Index, 1950-1993, Volume 1 [database on-line]. Lehi, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2010.
- National Archives at St. Louis; St. Louis, Missouri; WWII Draft Registration Cards for New York State, 10/16/1940 – 03/31/1947; Record Group: Records of the Selective Service System, 147
- Ancestry.com. U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2015 Original data: Social Security Applications and Claims, 1936-2007.
- National Archives at College Park; College Park, Maryland, USA; Electronic Army Serial Number Merged File, 1938-1946; NAID: 1263923; Record Group Title: Records of the National Archives and Records Administration, 1789-ca. 2007; Record Group: 64; Box Number: 14928; Reel: 4
- New York State Department of Health; Albany, NY, USA; New York State Marriage Index
- Ancestry.com. U.S., Index to Public Records, 1994-2019 [database on-line]. Lehi, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2020. Original data: Voter Registration Lists, Public Record Filings, Historical Residential Records, and Other Household Database Listings.
- “U.S., School Yearbooks, 1880-2012”; School Name: John F. Kennedy Junior High School; Year: 1968
- Ancestry.com. U.S., Select Military Registers, 1862-1985 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2013. This collection was indexed by Ancestry World Archives Project contributors. Original data: United States Military Registers, 1902–1985. Salem, Oregon: Oregon State Library.
- Buffalo Evening News, BUFFALO, NEW YORK, Wednesday, May 22, 1918