Leonard J. Switkowski born 1926 grandson of Wladyslaw and Ludwika Switkowski should not be confused with Leonard J. Switkowski born 1926 grandson of Wladyslaw and Ludwika Switkowski. Oh the records I have had to reread a hundred times to be sure of anything and there are many I am not sure about.
This particular Leonard Switkowski was born in Buffalo, New York on November 5, 1926 to Parents Joseph and Joanna Switkowski. In 1930 he was living with his parents at 70 Miller Street in Buffalo’s East Side. He was 3 years old with sisters Anna 9 and Francis 6.
In 1940 the family was now living at 27 Concord St.. Youngest sister Joann was 3 months old. By 1944 the family of 6 moved to 18 Newton St..
On November 6, 1944 the day after turning 18 he register for the military. I have been told that he was in the Navy and then the Army. Because of the many records I am still researching I don’t have exact dates on when he served or where. Prior to joining the military he worked at Laube Cafeteria in downtown Buffalo. My grandmother, his sister Anna, and my mother also worked there. In 1968 it closed and is now the Family Court Building.
Leonard married Victoria (Theresa) Wackowski on May 16 1953 in Buffalo, New York. They were living at 230 Guilford until at least 1956.
They had 2 children Michaeline Ann born 1955 and Leonard Jr born 1958, deceased 2013. In 1973 his wife died, Michaeline was 18 and Leonard Jr. was 15.
Since I was young and the family does not like to talk about things I do not know much about what happened at this time. I do know They had a dog in 1973 because I was living with his mother at the time and were were watching her for a while. The dog’s name was BeeGee.
I believe in 1973 the family was at 108 Iroquois Ave, Cheektowaga, New York. This was about 3 blocks from sister Anna and 4 blocks from Sister Francis.
He died October 31, 2008. I need to make another visit to St. Stanislaus Cemetery to get a picture of the grave.
- Year: 1930; Census Place: Buffalo, Erie, New York; Page: 6B; Enumeration District: 0135; FHL microfilm: 2341161
- Year: 1940; Census Place: Buffalo, Erie, New York; Roll: m-t0627-02826; Page: 10B; Enumeration District: 64-108
- New York State Department of Health; Albany, NY, USA; New York State Birth Index
- New York State Department of Health; Albany, NY, USA; New York State Marriage Index
- Buffalo, New York, City Directory, 1956
- Ancestry.com. U.S., Public Records Index, 1950-1993, Volume 1 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2010.
- Ancestry.com. U.S., World War II Draft Cards Young Men, 1940-1947 [database on-line]. Lehi, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2011.
- Ancestry.com. U.S., Department of Veterans Affairs BIRLS Death File, 1850-2010 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2011.